Tuesday 18 January 2011

MUSIC

This afternoon I have been focusing my attentions on the soundtrack to my short film. I am not sure if you are familiar to the film soundtrack of the movie "Up", but the original score, written by Michael Giacchino (which won an Academy Award for best original score, I'll have you know) , is the kind of thing I am looking for. Because the music for my short film, if using more than 30 seconds of it, has to copyright free, I have been trawling the free music sight freeplaymusic.com for music of a similar style.
Having done my musical research, I found that Giacchino uses a technique in his music called 'thematic transformation', which is where more than one theme is involved and related together in one piece of music.
This is the kind of thing I will be looking to include in my short film - taking musical inspiration from one of the earlier scenes in the film, w
here the story of this couple's life is told - the music is continuous throughout, yet changes from happy to sad as their life goes through up and down periods. I hope to have one continuous piece of music throughout my short film, with the musical piece changing as the mood changes.
Having learnt that famous composers Ludwig van Beethoven and Franz Liszt also used the technique of thematic transformation, and knowing that music over 50 years old is copyright free (and these musicians were alive and kicking in the 1800s), I have been delving deep into their works.

No comments:

Post a Comment